Tonight a bit off the beaten track is a bit of TWO CAPTAINS Double IPA
500mls and 8,5% ALC/VOL
They say “Jan Halvor Fjeld, winner of the Norwegian home brewing championships 2010 brewed his champion Imperial IPA at Nøgne Ø. We at Nøgne Ø are of course proud to be with him in making this happen”.
So I’m a little bit looking forward to this…. and then … oh wow,to say that this is an unusual beer would not to do it justice. It has that sour smell that I associate with Pale Ale, but does not carry that smell to the tongue, It carries a kind of citrus taste and has a long taste, it’s also surprisingly and not unpleasantly bitter.
So what do I really think? This might be the kind of beer you get out a party, it’s not something that I think you’d have as a go-to beer. It’s bitterness will put you off.
On the pdubyah-o-meter then an arbitrary 8 1/2 stars. Not my favorite beer by a long way, but not the worst that I had the pleasure of drinking. Nøgne Ø make a few different beers all with interesting back stories, I may have to linger longer here.
- World’s Best Beer (weeklyworldnews.com)
- Propeller Double IPA available tomorrow (atlanticcanadabeerblog.wordpress.com)
- Food for Hopheads: What To Eat With Double IPA (drinks.seriouseats.com)
- CBAS meet no7: beer list pt 1 (therealcbas.wordpress.com)
- Decoding Craft Beer (sarabozich.com)
- Beer bLoNg: